Friday, March 22, 2019

Letters to the Lost by, Brigid Kemmerer


5 Stars!!
“We're all united by grief, and somehow divided by the same thing.”

In Letters to the Lost, we follow Juliet and Declan. Juliet lost her mother in a hit and run accident. To cope, she starts to write letters to her by leaving them on her grave. Declan is also familiar with tragedy. One day while working community service at the Graveyard, he stumbles across a letter on a grave. He reads it and realizes he can relate- So he decides to respond to this letter with only two words- "Me Too." This starts the beginning of something more than just correspondence. It opens a gateway to healing, and leads them down the road to answers they both desperately crave.

Not exactly sure what I was expecting- I knew this was going to be a book about letters sent- but no idea to who, or why. Lets just say my heart wasn't ready!! This book was dark, deep, painful, and hopeful! Hits you right in the belly of feels.



I am pretty sure I felt every emotion- In tone- this is a very serious book. Its Ya and I love how the teenagers are represented. Their thoughts are on point. I feel that the writing was fantastic and had a true voice. It flowed smoothly and the pace was perfection. I didn't want to put it down.

The letters that were written were so thought provoking- deep and heartfelt. You feel the pain and anguish of each character which allows you to immediately connect with them. There are lots of themes going on in this book like friendship, betrayal, loss, bullying, healing. It will yank your chain- pinky promise!!



My favorite part of the book is the anonymity. Something about not knowing who you are writing to, allows one to open up completely. Their feelings are raw and really pack a punch.

“Do you believe in fate? Sometimes I want to. I want to believe that we all walk some path toward… something, and our paths intertwine for a reason. Like this, the way we’ve found each other. The way you told me the right story when I so desperately needed to hear it.”

I keep talking about the feelings- there are happy feelings too so its not all dark and depressing. We truly get to see these characters connect and go through a process. It does have a HEA- so you will finish with a huge smile on your face - so don't be scared to pick it up! Its well worth it :P

No comments:

Post a Comment