Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Odium Book 1 by, Claire C Riley


4 Addictive Stars!!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I might not be Lara Croft yet, but the desperation to live can fill you with a hell of a lot of enthusiasm for surviving, and if that means fighting hand to hand with a walking corpse when you need to, then so be it.

Its official- IM HOOKED. I read the 0.5 Novella (Nina's Story) before reading this one, and I am glad I did. I highly recommend doing that so that that you get to know Nina- what she has been through to get to the point where this one starts out. And you definitely want to know where those Dr. Martens come from she's always swooning over... Trust me just do it.

The world has totally gone to shit. There was a virus and everyone is now pretty much dealing and trying to survive. The dead have been walking among them for 3 or so years when the book takes place. Its either die by a gun or die by the dead. The military got together and built this place behind the walls so everyone who made it to the wall, would be safe from the "deaders" aka or what I like to call Zombies. Everything behind the walls is not what is seems though.

Nina has been behind the wall since its beginning but wants nothing more than to escape the hell she is in. An opportunity arises when a young girl/teen Emily is caught stealing food. The punishment for stealing is banishment beyond the wall and most probably death by zombie. Nina finally has had enough and decides its either now or never- so she willingly leaves when Emily is kicked out.


Nina, not used to handling or dealing with the dead, has to figure out real quick how to gain courage and strength for not only herself but for Emily who is counting on her to survive. With every Zombie encounter- Nina only gets more Fierce, strong and fast.




Along the way to finding safety- the girls run into Mikey, who brings them to a world they couldn't ever imagine- a life ABOVE the ground. However, with a new world comes new dangers and darkness. The girls soon find out that the deaders are not the only thing to fear beyond the wall.



This was such a fantastic start to what I am sure is going to turn into one of my favorite series. Its so fast paced and action packed! If you are a fan of survival type stories - or dare I even bring up The Walking Dead- then you will LOVE this book and probably salivate until you can start the others... oh wait- maybe that's just me?!?! This isn't a typical Zombie/Apocalyptic type book. I mean it is- but it isn't at the same time. There is focus on the Dead- but there is so much more to the story. We get to see other threats and unique side characters.

Nina will grow on you- she is turning into quite the bad ass. She has a great, and HILARIOUS personality. I love that we get to be in her head and see all her thoughts, feelings and fears. Emily- is such a freaking sweetheart. I triple dog dare you not to love her. Mikey is a Cinnamon Bun!! And for whatever reason is going to be Brad Pitt from World War Z, bc I want it that way, ok??



Bare with me OH AND his gang, they are fantastic. Each with their own wits and personality to make them stand out.


THERE IS SO MUCH ACTION- and heartbreaking moments. This one will tug at your heart strings. There is a side of romance but totally NOT the focus. There is too much to worry about with the end of the world and all to be focused on romance. So for that I was grateful- but what little we do get is slow burning and just the right amount. Nina's character grows SO MUCH from the start to the end. Its awesome!! I love character backstories and seeing where they are coming from. I love seeing how the relationship between Emily and Nina grows too.

I know I am probably leaving out so many thoughts but - just trust me- ADD IT TO YOUR TBR. If you like this sort of thing :P Even if you don't... its pretty good, Just sayin' !!

No comments:

Post a Comment