Friday, February 15, 2019

Book Review I Courting Darkness by, Robin LeFevers

4 Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

Death wasn’t the end, it was only the beginning…

Before reading this- I re-read Grave Mercy and then finished off the series reading Dark Triumph and Mortal Heart. I think my favorite of the 3 was Mortal Heart, probably because it was the last in the series and everything just came together for me in that last installment. I will point out that if you have not read the first trilogy - I would not read this one until you do. I know the author says that you really dont need to read it first, but trust me - I literally just finished the trilogy and still found myself having to take a minute to remember certain things from the other books.

This book is told from two POVs and follows Sybella (an OG from book 2 Dark Triumph) and a new Character Genevieve. I am going to just call her Gen. Gen is also a daughter of Mortain- which basically means she is another bad ass nun assassin hidden behind a sweet girl persona.


In a desperate bid to keep her two youngest sisters safe from the family that nearly destroyed them all, Sybella agrees to accompany the duchess to France, where they quickly find themselves surrounded by enemies. Sybellas only hope is to find two fellow sisters of the convent, disguised and hidden deep in the French court years ago by the convent—provided Sybella can find them.

Gen was sent undercover years ago and struggles remembering what her end game is. She wonders why after all this time- why she was sent here and what she is supposed to be doing because she is ready to return safely to the convent. She finds solace in a prisoner she stumbles across whom which the guards have forgotten about. As Sybella and Gen’s paths draw ever closer, the fate of everything they hold sacred rests on a knife’s edge. Will they find each other in time? Or will everything come together only to fall apart?

I really liked Courting Darkness!! I found the beginning to be a bit confusing and long winded- but I think maybe that was a little info dumping for those who have not read the trilogy. Once all that was done- the plot began to take shape and things started to pick up and get intense. There was not very much world building in this one- she covered that in the first books, thats why I feel to truly be able to appreciate this story, you need to read the trilogy.

I really liked Sybellas role in this one. I liked seeing a little softer side to her hard personality. Gen was a pretty interesting new character, once I realized what she was and her purpose. After the half way point things really start happening and picking up. There are some really hard situations to read - I wanted to jump into the book a few times and punch a few people. My emotions were all over the place in some parts. Which is a good sign I was invested. I think my favorite thing about these is not only the writing but the french atmosphere. It is so rich and I love that about it. It makes all the politics and war talk a little more interesting since its sorta based off of something that really happened in history. LeFevers just puts her spin on it and its unique and awesome for someone like me who isn't into history.

Overall I found this to be a really intriguing read and look forward to the second part of this Duology. I hope more people read the first series so that can truly give this one a chance. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment