Saturday, June 15, 2019

Before the Broken Star by Emily King


3 Stars!!


“I believe in monsters. I have seen them take and destroy, suffocate and shred, every sliver of light in the world.” 

Everley lives on borrowed time. The only survivor of her family’s unexplained assassination, she was saved by an ingeniously crafted clockwork heart. But the time she has been gifted- will not last forever. Now, every tick-tock reminds her how little time she has, and quickens her quest to expose Killian, the navy admiral who shattered her world and left her for dead. But Everley’s hunt for justice will be a long and hard-won voyage.

Her journey takes her to a colony on a cursed island, where she will be married off and charged to build the new world. It is here, and beyond, that hidden realms hide, treasures are unearthed, her family secrets are buried, and young love will test the strength of her makeshift heart. When Everley discovers Killian may not be who he seems, her pursuit for truth is bound to his redemption, her tragic history, and her destiny.

I have read Kings previous series The Hundredth Queen and enjoyed it- though it did have its slow moments, it was a decent read with a great plot. I found a few similarities though with this series. Mainly the fact that the MC is forced into a marriage so it kind of threw me off a bit at first but-I enjoyed this book. Although, it did not come without holes. 

I was really invested in the book and starting to get on with the characters but after about the 50 % mark something shifted and it lost my full attention. I kept feeling a little confused - and thought that there were a lot of info dumping moments that were not really needed. Therefore leaving me a little bored. Other than that, it was an enjoyable read- just not my favorite. 

Overall- I am pretty sure I will give the next book in the series a go and look forward to seeing how everything comes together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment