Sunday, December 9, 2018

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell


3.75 stars
“I am Uhtred, son of Uhtred, and this is the tale of a blood feud. It is a tale of how I will take from my enemy what the law says is mine. And it is the tale of a woman and of her father, a king. He was my king and all that I have I owe to him. The food that I eat, the hall where I live, and the swords of my men, all came from Alfred, my king, who hated me.”

HELLO Uhtred.....



I'm not the biggest fan of Historical Fiction books. I had interest in the TV Show and wanted to read the book first. I powered through the first half of this one, by Part 2, the book was redeemed since the pace picked up. Also, I think, since by the second half, Uhtred was getting older, he had a lot more going on, therefore, making him WAY more interesting . There were LOTS of blood and battle scenes- which were done fabulously.



I think I would have enjoyed this one even more if the characters, besides Uhtred and Ragnar, had more depth to them. I needed a little bit more of something and I just cant put my finger on it. I really enjoyed following Uhtreds story though, and I will probably give book 2 a go later on. Although, I will admit- the ending made me want to pick it up sooner than later. I will say- regardless of my personal attention span- Bernard Cornwell is an Epic Story teller and Author. I am not giving up on him just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment