Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Only a Breath Apart by, Katie McGarry


4 Stars!! 


“Pain is what makes you grow, it’s what makes you mature, it’s what helps lead you to the path you are meant to be on. If everything is good all the time, there would never be change.” 

It wouldn't be a Katie McGarry book, if at some point, my heart didn't explode all over the floor! Mission accomplished Dear McGarry! 


Only a Breath Apart was a beautiful, emotional rollercoaster. This book was jammed packed with hard topics and it was done brilliantly. The topic of abuse was handled with such care, and consideration of the reader. The author understands her characters, and writes them so raw and full of flaws- which makes them real and honest. It also had an undercurrent of magical realism which was unique and different for this author. 

We follow Jesse- who thinks, and has been told all his life that he is cursed. (he has red hair and I couldn't help but think of KJ) 

If he leaves his family land, something bad will happen, because of the generations of his past. He is no stranger to tragedy. And Scarlett- on the outside she looks like she has everything together... but what is going on in the inside is a dark mystery to everyone around her. Both are dealing with hard issues with major consequences. 

I loved everything about this book. It made me feel all the feelings in the emotion rainbow. I wanted to jump into the book a few times and knock some sense into certain people. I like when books make me feel along with the characters. 

Only a Breath Apart, to me- was full of depth. A story about forgiveness and overcoming tragedy. As well as love and hope. I for one, could not put it down. I think this is some of McGarrys best writing yet. If you're looking for a deep emotional connection with characters and a HAE-I totally recommend this one!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment