Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Name of the Wind by, Patrick Rothfuss



2.5 Stars!! 

“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” 

Buddy read with my best friend BeeJay!! 

Lets start with what I liked about it- the writing/prose was absolutely beautiful. This man can weave a story, and stories within a story. But that is where it ends for me. The beginning was interesting enough to pull me in and then it falls flat a few chapters in - and then I was the one having to pull myself back to it. The last 10 chapters turned out to be the most exciting of the whole book. I don't understand where I went wrong, or maybe I missed something, but I don't get the super high rating for this. I know it is a coming of age story and yes, the writing was nice- but the plot was like never ending. I felt like it was way too long and drawn out. It sadly turned into a chore to read this. I know I am of the minority :( I just wish I would have seen what everyone else saw in this because I was not that impressed. 

The main character, Kavothe was good at everything - yet made horrible decisions and steadily stayed in a bind- which, I found to be sort of annoying. Its kind of hard to pull for the guy when you know he is going to win at whatever he faces. The magic system was hard to understand and the world building was non existent for me. The author, for whatever reason, felt like he had to constantly remind me how poor this guy was. Then there was the weird relationship with Denna - what was the point of that? Maybe more gets explained in the other books... I have a ton of questions that I don't even care if they get answered at this point. I was left feeling exhausted after reading this, and I hate having to say that about any book. I wish I could recommend this one but sadly- it did not live up to the hype for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment